KRUPS coffee makers grant amazingly full flavor and superb ease-of-use. Fortunately, the near-effortless convenience of a KRUPS Super Automatic or high-precision Coffee Maker is matched by cleaning that’s just as easy. I’ll be taking you through a look at how to clean your KRUPS coffee machine in minutes no matter which model you may have.
When you’re done brewing up a batch of coffee, give your coffee maker a quick clean to keep it in tip-top condition. Here’s the day to day maintenance your coffee maker needs:
- Remove and clean the reservoir and carafe.
- Detach the drip tray and clean it with warm soapy water before giving it a rinse clean and then drying.
- Clip out the coffee ground collector and its filter, washing both before rinsing clean and drying.
- Wipe down the machine with a soapy cloth, before wiping clean with a damp rag.
It’s a similar procedure for keeping all KRUPS coffee machines looking and brewing well, but every unit will also need descaling from time to time.
How to descale a KRUPS coffee machine
Trace elements of minerals like magnesium and calcium in water cause scale build-up over time. As salts amass on the inside of your coffee machine, flavors are tainted. Anyone familiar with the taste of hard water will immediately pick up on it in their coffee. Scale build-up also hampers the performance of your coffee machine, making it work harder and break quicker.
As soon as your KRUPS coffee machine or Nespresso coffee maker needs descaling, the ‘Clean’ light will turn on. Expect to descale your unit roughly once a month depending on how often it’s used.
- Unclip the reservoir and fill it with either Krups Descaling Solution or a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water.
- Place a large receptacle beneath the outlet.
- Fit the water tank and press the ‘Clean’ button.
- Select ‘Brew’ which will start the cleaning process that takes about half an hour.
- If the descaling solution isn’t complete leaving your water reservoir empty, press ‘Clean’ again.
- Once the descaling cycle is done, rinse the machine twice using two full brewing cycles (12 cups each) without coffee – water only.
- Fit a new filter cartridge.
KRUPS cleaning tablets for fully automatic coffee makers
Krups Cleaning Tablets have been specifically designed for use in Krups fully automatic coffee makers including models EA82 and EA9000. Fully automated models will walk you step by step through the process of how to clean your machine with the cleaning tablets.
One tablet is necessary per cleaning and each pack contains 10 tablets. Krups recommend that you clean your machine every 360 espresso/coffees but you don’t need to count how many you make as your coffee machine will remind you.
How to clean a KRUPS EA81 Automatic Espresso
Here are KRUPS EA81 cleaning instructions for your Automatic Espresso machine, giving you a complete cleaning cycle for total maintenance.
Cleaning the Coffee Ground Collector
Remove and clean the collector and drip tray before rinsing or descaling.
- Unclip and remove the drip tray and coffee grounds collector, emptying it out.
- Rinse in warm soapy water before rinsing clean and drying using a non-abrasive cloth.
- Refit the drip tray and coffee ground collector.
Rinsing Your Automatic Espresso Maker
Rinse your Krups EA81 before and after each use, using one cycle only. Two or more rinsing cycles are needed after descaling.
- Detach and fill the reservoir with clean water.
- Place a large, 20 ounces (0.6L) receptacle beneath the outlet.
- Replace the water reservoir. You’ll notice the water indicator switch off and ‘Calc’ flash.
- Select the ‘Service’ mode, which will make the Krups ‘Calc’ light switch stabilize and stay on.
- Allow the rinse cycle to run for six minutes. It will finish automatically.
- Refill the reservoir and run another cycle, rinsing for a second time.
Descaling the KRUPS EA81 Automatic Espresso
If you don’t have the official KRUPS descaling agent, substitute a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water.
- Detach and fill the water tank with clean, lukewarm water.
- Dissolve a sachet of KRUPS Descaling Powder into the tank.
- Replace the water tank, noticing how the ‘Calc’ light switches off and stops blinking.
- Select the ‘Service’ mode and allow the machine to perform its full cycle.
- Rinse the machine using the instructions above, and at least one rinsing cycle.
How to clean Nespresso KRUPS coffee machine
Descaling a Nespresso KRUPS coffee machine is straight-forward once you know how. Simply follow these instructions:
- Open the hatch and take out the coffee capsule, emptying out its holder.
- Follow the instructions on the Nespresso Descaling Solution.
- Place a container capable of holding the amount of water the reservoir holds beneath the outlet.
- Hold the ‘Espresso’ and ‘Lungo’ buttons for a total of three seconds and then release. Each LED will begin to blink, indicating that scaling mode has been initiated.
- Select ‘Lungo’ and wait for the cycle to conclude and the reservoir to empty.
- Refill the reservoir with the cleaning solution dispensed, and select ‘Lungo’ to run it through the machine using another cycle.
- Empty the reservoir and fill it with clean water.
- Select ‘Lungo’ to rinse the machine. Rinsing twice to ensure your coffee machine is clean and clear of all descaling solution and mineral deposits.
- Hold ‘Espresso’ and ‘Lungo’ for three seconds again to exit descaling mode.
Although the manufacturer recommends the official Nespresso Descaling Solution, you can use a 50/50 blend of white vinegar and water instead. If you’re descaling with a vinegar solution, rinse your coffee maker at least three to four times afterwards.
FAQ: KRUPS Coffee Machine Cleaning
Never be left with a lingering concern when we’ve answered all your frequently asked questions about cleaning a KRUPS coffee machine right here.
How to clean KRUPS pod coffee maker?
Pod coffee makers from KRUPS require regular cleaning and descaling, just like any other unit, but every machine works differently. Full detailed cleaning instructions for single-serve brewers are available in your KRUPS coffee machine manual.
Why is my KRUPS 'Clean' blinking?
Mineral salts have formed an excessive amount of scale build-up. Your coffee machine is letting you know it’s time for descaling.
Why is my KRUPS 'Calc' light blinking?
The KRUPS ‘Calc’ light notifies you that the machine is still in the descaling process. Attempt filling and securing the reservoir while making sure that a suitably sized receptacle is beneath the outlet. Select the appropriate function to continue the cycle. If this does not work, refer to your KRUPS coffee machine manual to see if there is a reset method available. If descaling and resetting your unit doesn’t fix the problem, you’ll need to contact customer support. Your coffee maker is most likely faulty.
How often should I descale my coffee maker?
The hardness of your water and how you use your machine determines when it needs descaling. You can expect to descale your coffee maker at anything between 20 to 40 cups. You’ll know that your coffee maker needs a cleaning cycle when it starts taking longer to brew, stops early, or starts pushing out far too much steam.
Where can I find my KRUPS coffee maker manual online?
So there you have it!
Regularly cleaning will prolong the life of your coffee maker. Specially formulated KRUPS descaling solution and vinegar are arguably similar in their cleaning power. However, the manufacturer’s descaler is formulated to maintain its models.
No matter how you decide to descale your coffee maker, make sure that you do. Regular cleaning keeps your KRUPS coffee machine in the best possible condition. Not only does this grant great durability, but it keeps your coffee tasting barista fresh every time.